Sunday, April 18, 2010

3 months on the road - declimatising

I've just come back from 3 months on the road whirlwindig round Asia. Thailand was just the necessary evil I had to put up with to easily access the rest of the countries, but the real trip was Cambodia, Vietnam and Burma.

The thing about traveling for 3 months is that so many exciting things happen that you can't really digest everything properly until you get back home.

It for example hits you when you sit in a restaurant in London again and are given knife instead of a spoon with your fork... oh yeah...I haven't seen one of those in 3 months
or
when the person on the bus next to you pulls out a plastic bag to admire their latest purchase and not to use as a vomit bag
or
babies around you actually need and are given attention by their overdoting mums, rather than simply putting up with a 10hr bus journey in blistering heat (never quite know how that one works but it does)

The trip was absolutely superb, although my master plan regarding "traveler weightloss" - 2 days dihorea = 2kg, 1 week recovering = 1 kg, 3 months sweating in general = - 2kg. Total 5kg weight loss - did not happen. The steady diet of rice in various shapes and forms kept me at exactly he same weight. C'mon...where was the salmonella god when I needed him ;)

So basically I am back. Declimatising from having aclimatised to my Asian surroundings.


...at least I'm doing it in style on a rooftop terrasse in Marrakech!

No comments:

Post a Comment